From 25 October 2017 until 25 October 2018
Notice to owners, master, skippers and crews of trawlers, dredgers and other vessels involved in seabed operations.
This Notice sets out instructions regarding explosives picked up at sea:
- Explosives/weapons are dangerous even if they have been in the water for many years.
- Suspected explosives should not be landed on the deck.
- If explosives are accidentally taken onboard, then under no circumstances should attempts be made to clean, open or tamper with the weapon in any way.
- Always inform the Coastguard immediately and seek further instructions.
- Vessels returning to Tor Bay with explosives onboard shall ensure that HM Coastguard and Tor Bay Harbour Authority are immediately informed.
- Under no circumstances is the vessel to enter any enclosed harbour with the weapon onboard. Vessels should lie 1.5 miles north east of Brixham Breakwater and await instructions.
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) have recently published MGN 323 Explosives picked up at sea which gives detailed advice about handling explosives. Copies of this MGN can be obtained from the harbour office.